Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pesto Please!

When you start worrying about your waistline, the first thing you cut is carby goodies like bread, cookies and , you guessed it, pasta. As someone who has been carb-concious since 2007, I can fully admit that it has been easily a year since I indulged in spaghetti. This is why:

I LOVE pesto. However, your typical pesto includes things like parmesan cheese and pine nuts - both of which are frowned upon in the paleo world and for good reason. Just because it's not good for me in it's original form, doesn't mean I can't tweak it to meet my discerning paleo taste.

Ingredients:
-1 cup spinach
- 3.5 cups fresh basil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts (preferably in halves or pieces)
- 6 cloves garlic
- .25 tsp salt
- 2 tbs lemon juice

1. Toss walnuts, olive oil, salt and garlic into your handy food processor and pulse until they are a creamy texture.
2. Add basil (de-stemmed if necessary), spinach and lemon juice.
3. Continue to pulse until you reach an even and smooth consistency.

NOTE - this makes a ton of pesto, feel free to use it on absolutely anything. My dish of choice was made up of raw zuchinni that I ran through the Sprializer (the most amazing device ever) to replicate the texture of spaghetti. I added some grilled chicken to get my protein in and then tossed it with my pesto. A little goes a long way with this flavorful sauce, so this batch should last you at least a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment