Sunday, September 12, 2010

Paleo Milkshake: Does it exist?


Kind of. So non-dairy cocoa powder and stevia may not have been readily accessible to our hunter gather ancestors, but I'd like to think that if they had a Whole Foods, they'd make the dietary exception as well!

Lazy sundays used to mean lots of chips, pizza and some ice cream to feed your football famine/hangover. However, now that I'm a grown up with a diet to maintain, I've decided to healthify my treats - no exceptions. Instead of of chips, we had jicama, ground beef instead of pizza and now for dessert. Modified from a Whole Foods recipe, I threw a few ingredients into a blender to create a sweet tooth satisfying dessert that wouldn't do too much damage to our diets.

Ingredients:

- 2 bananas
-1 cup light coconut milk
- 1.5 tbs non-dairy cocoa powder/carob powder
- .25 cup coconut flakes
- 1 packet stevia (I prefer Truvia)

Step 1: Slice and freeze the bananas. I used some good ol' wax paper and stuck them in the freezer for a few hours.
2. Once the naners are solid, throw them in the blender along with all the other ingredients. Blend slowly for a few seconds, turn off the motor and give the contents a stir every once in a while until you get a creamy texture. The coconut flakes will leave you with a few small chunks, so if that isn't your style, go ahead and leave them out.
3. Pour into two glasses (the recipe is meant for two, but no one will judge you for hogging it all) and serve.

For a little extra color, I topped mine with some raspberries, but I bet it would be delicious with some cherries, blueberries or any other fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment